Thursday, August 7, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust

August 5th, 2008
Laramie, WY

For better or for worse, it’s finally happened.

On the morning of Tuesday, July 5th, 2008, Michael J. Harrington cracked open the first page of the well known Harry Potter book series. Although eleven years have passed since the books were originally published, this hasn’t stopped him from beginning to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the first book of a series of seven. The first book, written by J.K. Rowling, was published in 1997 and has formed a world wide fan base since. When asked why it took him over a decade to join the Harry Potter movement Harrington thought,


“For the longest time I’ve been the type of person to disassociate myself with large, popular groups or movements. This is how I have been reacting to Harry Potter for years; not interested in being categorized into some group, but rather wanting to simply be an individual. However, Harry Potter has plunged itself into pop culture, becoming like Andy Warhol’s paintings in the 1960’s, something that future Trivial Pursuit questions will be written about. I decided that I had to get involved.”

but actually said:
"I dunno. The time has come."

Unfortunately for Harrington, he hasn’t been able to completely isolate himself from the Harry Potter happenings. His sister, Katie, whom he lived with for a year in college, is an avid movie enthusiast. She has been collecting the Harry Potter movies, and as a result, Mike has seen the first four or five movies. This will undoubtedly skew his perception of characters and places as the books are unraveled. It may even give away a few of the major plotlines. His hope is that he will be able to make it through the first five books and into the last two before any more movies come out, that way he will be able to read the last two books without them being spoiled. When asked what he thought of the Harry Potter series thus far, Harrington simply replied,


“I've read over 200 pages of the first book in the first day, I think that means I’m hooked and can’t stop now.”

All of us here at the Harrington Times would like to wish Mr. Harrington the best with his future reading plans. Stay the course, Mr. Harrington. Stay the course!

4 comments:

shellycoulter said...

He's going to love them and they are so much better than the movies!!! I used to be the same way. I succumbed to the pressure and started reading them after the fifth book came out. I couldn't put them down and am an avid HP fan now! Melissa, if you need something to do, come hang out with us. I have a feeling you will be ignored, like some kind of muggle, for the next week as Mr. Harrington gets sucked in to the land of Hogwarts.

Oh yeah...I would love to try some of your tea. Do you know whats in it or why it helps you sleep? thanks so much for the suggestion!

Micah and SaraJane said...

This made me laugh A LOT!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could properly convey the excitement I have about this over a comment post! This is such great news!!!!! Mike, just wait until you get into the last few books! It's just so great....!!!!! *sigh* That's all I can say!!!

But don't let the movies ruin it for you! While they are great as well, there is just no humanly possible way they could capture the entire story!

Happy reading!

Unknown said...

As of now, the movies haven't spoiled much of anything...probably because I can't actually remember all that happened in the movies, being as I wasn't very interested in them at the time. The one thing the movies have done for me is teach me how to read "Hermoine".

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...