The day is more or less a take on Valentine's Day however the gift market on Pepero Day is essentially a Monopoly held by Lotte, the makers of Pepero, although, according to the all-reliable Wikipedia, "Lotte denies starting the holiday and instead states that they noticed a bump in Pepero sales around November 11th and after continued popularity they decided to then encourage the holiday with special gift boxes and other promotions." Having been in Korea for three months, the Harrington's believe either story is entirely possible.
Regardless of the history or purpose, the day ushers in a fair amount of delicious sweet snacks for teachers and loved ones.
Besides having a delicous chocolatey treat, the reciepient is also encouraged by the loving words printed, in English conveniently, on many Pepero package. And here, in no particular order are some of the loving words one might read on Pepero Day:
- I only want my love to grow in you.
- I beleive we need to let others feel the love instead of talking about the LOVE.
- I love you today more than yesterday.
- You & Me -- I'm happy to have been with you so far.
- Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.